Surgical Suturing and Knot Tying Course
Master surgical knot tying techniques
Master the ten most frequently used suturing techniques
Learn the basic principles of wound closure and wound care
This is an illustrated hands-on self-paced online course to be used with The Apprentice Doctor® Suturing Kit – which includes all the instruments and items needed to learn how to suture lacerations and tie surgical knots!
A product by…
Learning how to suture wounds and lacerations requires a thorough understanding of the theory of wound care and the basic principles of suturing. The student also needs to reach an advanced level of proficiency by practicing knot tying and suturing techniques.
The Apprentice Doctor Suture Course and Kit is not intended to substitute the clinical training of students but rather to offer a firm foundation and an opportunity to experience his/her initial learning curve in an imitation situation –to fill the student with confidence when he is faced with the real-life clinical situation.
The course consists of 5 sections:
- The Suturing Kit
- Preparatory Projects
- Surgical Knot Tying
- Basic Principles of Wound Care
- Basic Suturing Techniques
Ensure that you understand each section and can perform the practical projects skillfully before proceeding to the next section. Do not skip a section because you think it is unimportant or too simple.
Basic principles are like that; although they appear uncomplicated, one still needs to understand and practice these simple building blocks before proceeding to and succeeding with the more complicated principles and applications.
Important note: In this suturing course, the word “suture” will be used as the verb/noun pertaining to the closing-up or stitching-up of wounds/lacerations /incisions. For more information regarding the word “suture” see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suture
Who Should Enroll In This Course?
- Medical students
- Physician Assistant (PA) students
- Pre-medical students
- Paramedics and EMT students
- Dental students
- Veterinary students
- Nursing students
- Surgery Interns/Registrars
- Advanced First Aid practitioners
- Medics in the military
- Practicing Healthcare professionals who would like to improve or refresh their suturing technique
- Students interested in a career in medicine
- Individuals with a keen interest in the practical aspects of medicine
+-60 Hours (including practical projects).
The Apprentice Doctor Academy recommends that the student not rush through the course (not more than 3 hours per day) to allow for consolidation of the information. The course could be done in less than a week with full-time study; however, it is recommended that you not rush and instead allow the information to consolidate in your mind.
From the date of enrollment, you have 12 weeks to complete the course, failing which you will need to re-enroll.
Furthermore we recommend that you briefly review the previous day’s work before continuing each day. This will also consolidate the knowledge in your mind.
— Register with Apprentice Doctor Academy
— Enroll in Course
— Simulation Kit (optional but recommended to complete the practical projects and practice the techniques you learn)
Click here to order your Apprentice Doctor® Suturing Kit
Equivalent to twenty-five shadowing hours
— IMPORTANT: If you are NOT a part of the Envision Experience and you wish to receive formal certification there is a $29 accreditation fee payable. This certification is valid for two years but the certificate will remain a valuable addition to any job or academic application long after.
– The course and accompanying kit (including all items and instruments in the kit) are exclusively intended for educational and training purposes. No instrument or item may be used in a real clinical medical setting (emergency or otherwise).
– Without a formal medical qualification you may open yourself to medicolegal litigation if applying these techniques on the public.
– The surgical gloves contain latex. We do supply latex-free gloves as an alternative on request.
– The course and kit is suitable for students 16 years of age and older. Adult supervision is recommended for students below the age of 18 years.